www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt - or, What can I do with a TCK?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:33:47 GMT
I've been working on Apache Geronimo for a couple of years now and
have heard several different stories on what one can do and can't do
once an NDA has been signed.  My objective on this thread is to
coalesce our communal intelligence on this matter and document the
rules of engagement so the projects at the ASF, where necessary,
operate on the same guidelines with the confidential material we have
received.

I have not seen any formal rules of engagement so here is how we
operate in Geronimo.  Our means of operation may be paranoid and if
we are doing too much then I'd like to be3 able to let some of it
go.  Here is a set of rules we use (passed on from committer to
committer so these may not all be actual requirements):

1. No XSDs provided by Sun can be reshipped because the copyright
statement in them (as provided from the Sun Website) has a clause
that prohibits redistribution.
     a. We believe this only applies to the annotations / comments as
being copyrightable.  The other programtic elements are not
copyrightable as they are part of the programming specification.
     b. As such, we type the XSDs in manually and omit the
annotations and comments and then insert an Apache License.  This is
considered redistributable.

2. One cannot openly talk about TCK status other than a binary we're
certified or we're not certified.  No statements like we've passed
93% of the EJB 3.0 tests.

3. One cannot disclose the contents of the TCK which includes the
names of test cases or code from test cases.  In some instances if a
problem needs to be discussed on the dev list a new test case is
created so the problem can be discussed in that context.

4. One cannot disclose information about the organization or
internals of the TCK as provided by the licensee.

5. One cannot talk to other folks (outside of Apache) that are
licensed for the same TCK about the results, contents or share
experiences as that would violate the NDA.

Does anyone else have any folklore tied to TCKs that they would like
to get answers to?  Add them on this thread.

It would be really useful if Geir and others familiar with our
agreements can clear up any misconceptions about TCKs.  I am looking
to take the contents of this discussion and add this to the JCP page
or other relevant web page so we can have a common point of reference
for the actual requirements and not stories passed from father to son :)

Thanks

Matt