www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <aadamc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR-316 Vote
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:05:53 GMT

On Jul 19, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Bill Barker wrote:

> If the ASF can't start acting like resposible adults on the
> JCP, then it is probably better that we withdraw.

I don't agree that ASF is acting irresponsibly in this case, but even
a responsible action may bring no desired results. So...

In such situations my own first preference is action, not activism,
meaning - can we do the right thing ourselves vs. forcing somebody
else into doing that right thing. (I don't imply anything bad by
"activism", I simply mean that as one possible way of the problem
solving). In this light the idea of an open standards body is much
more attractive than a legal (or otherwise) war with Sun. That may be
a long shot, but the benefit would be huge too. So anybody thinks
this is a realistic idea, and dissatisfaction with JCP among its
players is enough to get most of them on board?

Andrus