www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [Draft] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Sat, 30 Jun 2007 01:49:37 GMT

On Jun 29, 2007, at 10:25 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> [resending]
>
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> One question I have on the FOU restriction for the Java TCK is what
>>> would happen if we did certify Harmony with the TCK under its
>>> current
>>> terms?
>>
>> We couldn't ship under the Apache license.
>
> Let's be clear;
>
>  * Source code - ASF insists on providing (so does Sun, incidently).
>    However, it isn't the object of certification (TCK) and therefore
>    the source code (the thing the ASF creates) can't be Java or the
>    implementation of the JSR.

Yes, of course.

>  * Binary build; not TCK validated.  This simply cannot be called
>    Java nor an implementation of the related JSR.  An examples, kaffe.
>    To quote them; "Kaffe is a clean room implementation of the Java
>    virtual machine, plus the associated class libraries needed to
>    provide a Java runtime environment." And continues; "It is legal
>    -- but Sun controls the Java trademark, and has never endorsed
>    Kaffe, so technically, Kaffe is not Java."

Yep.

>  * Binary build; TCK validated.  Once a build of our Source Code on
>    a specific platform passes the TCK, that binary becomes an
>    implementation of the associated JSR, and can be referred to as
> Java.

Yep

> Nothing stops us from shipping Binary builds today without the TCK,
> provided they aren't called Java.

I know.  We do that.  But the goal of the project is shipping a
certified Java SE.

> Nothing stops us from accepting
> the TCK, passing it on the platforms that fall under the FoU clause,
> and calling that Java.  Nothing stops the user from changing the code
> and using it themselves as they prefer (but no longer calling it
> Java).

That's not true.  You don't quite grok the FOU clause.

The FOU clause doesn't restrict platform, it restricts context of use.

My canonical example :

Harmony can ship a binary tested on Dell hardware running Ubuntu
linux, but if you happen to use that same configuration in a manner
that Sun considers embedded (like putting the same machine into the
case of an X-Ray machine to control the UI), it's no longer certified
and doesn't get the necessary IP grant.

geir