www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+apa...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [Draft] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 02:29:41 GMT
Chris Gray <chris.gray@kiffer.be> writes:

> On Wednesday 27 June 2007 18:24, Joe Schaefer wrote:

[...]

>> Our license only covers IP contributed to Apache, which Sun has not
>> done in the case of harmony.  As I understand the JSPA, we rely on
>> passing the TCK to get the "necessary IP" from the spec lead, so we
>> can distribute TCK-passing software under the Apache License alone.
>> I don't know if a source-code distribution would fall under that IP
>> grant if the corresponding binary passed the TCK.  If it doesn't,
>> then that's probably another defect in the JSPA we should try to get
>> addressed.
>
> SFAIK source code doesn't pass the JCK and TCKs, executables
> do. Taking a bunch of source code from e.g. Sun or IBM and turning it
> into something which runs on a particular platform and passes the TCKs
> is the way that some companies earn their money.

The way I earn my money as a sysadmin is having the ability to fix
mission-critical software bugs.  A primary example would be the current
subversion installation on svn.apache.org, which has a local modification
designed to fix a security bug.  It is important that users are
free to fix open source software locally, as needed, and deploy those
fixes without having to pass a TCK each time such a thing is done.

I think the current JSPA allows this sort of thing, since section 5
does provide an IP flow from spec lead (Sun) to independent implementor
(us). Thus the Apache License offered by the ASF would be the sole license
users would need to care about when using, and possibly modifying, harmony.
Assuming harmony is ever permitted to release.

--
Joe Schaefer