www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Chris Gray <chris.g...@kiffer.be>
Subject Re: [Draft] New ASF/JCP Policies
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:43:43 GMT
On Thursday 28 June 2007 04:29, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> The way I earn my money as a sysadmin is having the ability to fix
> mission-critical software bugs.  A primary example would be the current
> subversion installation on svn.apache.org, which has a local modification
> designed to fix a security bug.  It is important that users are
> free to fix open source software locally, as needed, and deploy those
> fixes without having to pass a TCK each time such a thing is done.

Suppose you buy a version of some open source tool or OS from someone who did
the work needed to get it Orange Book certification or whatever. Then if you
carry out local modifications you are no longer using the version which got
certified; that's your decision. As the saying goes, "if you break it you get
to keep both parts".

I'm just wondering whether the ASF can square this circle by having a third
party bring out a not-quite-FLOSS, JCK-passing version. Unfortunately I have
to say that the more I look at the JSPA, the less likely this seems to me.