www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSR 314 - JSF 2.0
Date Wed, 30 May 2007 16:59:32 GMT

<snip>

> yes, it is possible to get access (read-access) to the JSR related mailing list.
> But, would be great if Ed would run a public mailing list, on his own.

+1

the NDAs are really not necessary: it's up the specification lead how
they want to run the show. it would be much better if specification
leads were much more public and dispensed with all the unnecessary
secrecy.

note that apache may well have been intentionally excluded from this
JSR since the specification lead is from sun. apache is currently in
dispute with another specification lead from sun who has refused to
issue an open source compatible license for a TCK. apache is a charity
and IMO may need to have stronger guarantees before engaging
officially with a process that actively excludes open source
solutions.

IMO apache would need to be issued with a license for the TCK before
official representations would be appropriate. of course, committers
would be free to join on the strength of their apache development.

> As a "fall back" I think having such a mailing list, here at Apache
> would be good.

i recommend that those who are interested in joining the expert group
contact the specification lead. it is possible that apache was
intentionally excluded from this JSR for political reasons. even in
this case, i hope that any specification lead wishing to draw up the
strongest possible specification would want independent experts on
board even if they have ties with apache.

if experts from apache are not welcome then i suggest that the
appropriate project considers creating an open mailing lists to
discuss future specifications independently of the JSR.

- robert