www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT(?)] Encumbered code in openjdk - code under Apache License?
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 05:10:44 GMT

On May 25, 2007, at 12:28 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>> Yep.  They need to figure that one out.  I heard secondhand that I
>> believe Mark Reinhold said that they would fix this.  I'm not sure
>> how.  Should be interesting.
>
> eh, easy;  Sun has not done any Copyright assigns to FSF, so the legal
> department at Sun will issue their own interpretation of whether AL is
> kosher or not, just like JBoss has (albeit for the less encumbered
> LGPL)... Expect to see a Sun statement; "We don't see AL being
> incompatible with GPL." sooner or later.

I wish them the best of luck with that one.  Worked for MySQL though,
so who knows.

If they do decide to go that route, $10 gets you $20 that you'll see
a lot of previously held strong views on the subject change in a way
that would make Trotsky proud, in the same way that those who
strenuously objected to contributing anything under the Apache
License because it aided "software hoarding" and "strip mining"
forgot they felt that way once offered the chance to contribute joint
copyright to Sun for OpenJDK (who intends to sell the code to
"software hoarders" and "strip miners" under freer licenses than the
GPL).  Ah, the politics of dancing.

geir