www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: JSR291 OSGi - request for comment on final vote
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 19:57:16 GMT
On May 21, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> As a draft :
>
> "Apache votes YES with the condition that the spec lead will
> include the corrected TCK license - as found at http://
> www2.osgi.org/JSR291/TCK - in the final TCK package.  In addition,
> the ASF would like to thank the spec lead for the clear, simple and
> JSPA-compliant spec and TCK licenses, and strongly urge other spec
> leads to follow this example.  In order to deliver on the promise
> that the JCP creates "open specifications", the ASF requires spec
> leads to commit to specification and TCK licenses that, at the
> minimum, have no "Field of Use" or other restrictions that limit or
> encumber open source and free software implementations of Java
> specifications."

My preference would be more specificity:

" ... the ASF requires spec leads to commit to specification and TCK
licenses that do not restrict the downstream licenses of tested,
compatible implementations.  In particular, no "Field of Use", shared
code, or other restrictions can appear in a TCK license that would
prevent a compatible independent implementation of a Java specification
from being distributed under the Apache License."

The general case is handled by the first sentence.  The second sentence
can therefore be specific to us, and the big hole I am trying to close
is the one where the TCK offered is only free of FOU terms for GPL
software, or requires inclusion of code under GPL.

....Roy