www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT(?)] Encumbered code in openjdk - code under Apache License?
Date Mon, 28 May 2007 16:32:54 GMT

On May 25, 2007, at 3:41 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>> I wish them the best of luck with that one.  Worked for MySQL
>> though, so
>> who knows.
>
> Uhm - read the MySQL **exception** clauses.

I did.  And I don't understand them.

The incompatibility between the AL and GPL isn't one of taste or
preference by a copyright owner using the GPL.  For example, the
virality of the GPL - which is a loss of freedom placed on recipients
by the copyright holder for those that choose to accept the license
-  can be voluntarily suspended by a licensor.  The GNU Classpath
project does this, as does the OpenJDK project.

But the problem between the AL and GPL is supposedly something
completely different, so it's not clear to me how that problem can go
away just because MySQL wants to use APR.  In the same way, just
because Sun ran the boat into the rocks because they chose the GPL in
order to keep their commercial license stream doesn't mean that they
can wish the problems away.

Happy to learn how this is possible...

geir