www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Any news on the TCK for Harmony?
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 19:36:10 GMT

On May 14, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 5/13/07, Joe Schaefer <joe+apache@sunstarsys.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've also reviewed the resources for spec leads available at
>>
>> http://jcp.org/en/resources/guide
>>
>> and the template licenses are chock-full of Field-of-Use provisions.
>> How does one know which JSR's can be safely implemented in open
>> source?
>
> I think the answer there should be 'one asks Apache'. We need to
> publish our definition of openness for JSRs - the JCP page pretty much
> has that, but we're either adding the no-FOU or no-Veto to that. Then
> we need to list the JSRs that can be considered open.

If we do that, then we are conceding that a FOU is technically legal,
and we are simply stating a preference.

Our position should be that FOUs that restrict downstream uses of
tested code are *not* permitted.

Period.

Sun still has a veto for changes made to SE, ME and EE.  I actually
don't care - they claim it's not an issue.  If it does become an
issue, the veto mechanism itself will be the least of our problems, I
think.

geir