www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR291 OSGi - request for comment on final vote
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 13:56:04 GMT
On 5/20/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
> BTW - I forgot to mention...
>
> In the filing that IBM made to the JCP, IBM is clear that the TCK
> will be made available at no cost (aka "free") to qualified
> individuals, not-for-profits and academics, as required by the JSPA.

The problem with that statement is that that it merely is our
interpretation that the JSP requires such.  As long as one party sees
fit to violate that interpretation -- either directly or indirectly by
means such as prolonged foot dragging -- and as long as the
interpretation hasn't been tested in court, then we have to treat it
as merely our interpretation.

Furthermore, as long as the situation is that we accept statement X on
face value from spec lead Y, but not statement X' from spec lead Z,
the situation remains murky, and subject to gamesmanship (example: a
response from spec lead Z of, "well, what statement *would* you
accept?")

Let's make it simple.  Any vote gets a "NO!" until we actually *see*
the license.

- Sam Ruby