www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR291 OSGi - request for comment on final vote
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 10:29:07 GMT

On May 21, 2007, at 2:04 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>> In the filing that IBM made to the JCP, IBM is clear that the TCK
>> will
>> be made available at no cost (aka "free") to qualified individuals,
>> not-for-profits and academics, as required by the JSPA.  The text I
>> posted was the text inside the TCK package, and I suspect this is
>> just a
>> simple oversight.  I take their statement on the JSR filing, along
>> with
>> the fact that it's required by the JSPA, as the binding thing we
>> should
>> pay attention to, and expect that they'll correct the LICENSE in the
>> package at some point.
>
> This differs from Sun's claim that we are free at any point to
> release Harmony,
> and yet we have no adaquately clear TCK license from Sun to that
> effect
>  - how, exactly?

I don't see how these two are in any way connected.  I'm confused.
My comment above was just noting that the TCK license in the package
accidentally failed to note that the TCK would be provided at zero
dollar cost to non-profits, etc.   However the filing by IBM for this
final draft does note that, and I consider the license in the TCK
package just an oversight on IBMs part.

Re the Java SE TCK license, Sun will provide it to us for zero dollar
cost.  That's not a problem.  The problem is that the license
includes unacceptable conditions in that we couldn't release software
conforming to those conditions while also under an open source license.

Meanwhile, back to OSGI

geir