www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Davanum Srinivas" <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject [OT(?)] Encumbered code in openjdk - code under Apache License?
Date Sun, 13 May 2007 03:00:21 GMT
Folks,

The Open JDK FAQ has a section on Code and Encumbrances. I wonder why
it does not list all the software under Apache License both 1.X and
2.0? For example, Sun has versions of various Apache projects like
BCEL, RegExp, Xalan/XPath, Xerces and XML-Security under its own
package name com.sun.org.apache [2]. Looks like the Sun Lawyers did
not read "GPL-Incompatible Free Software Licenses" and
"GPL-compatibility". As we all know as per FSF, code under Apache
License is not kosher with GPLv2. Looks like the Classpath community
needs to rescue Sun/OpenJDK from the clutches of Evil Apache just like
they freed Java :)

Thanks,
dims

[1] http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp#h