www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: JSR-311 update
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:38:46 GMT
On Mar 13, 2007, at 3:25 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> I am very confused. Surely the purpose of JSR-311 was to come up
> with these APIs? But Sun have just released an early access version
> of the same APIs? How can that be, unless someone has worked out a
> way to send emails backwards in time?

Nobody in their right mind starts a standards committee without already
having implemented something that works as they intend the first draft
of the standard to work.  It is very rare for such standards to be
changed much by the committee, because design-by-committee always sucks.
Usually, either the committee focuses on specifying the details of
what works, or a second party brings their own implementation into
the committee and everyone changes course to specify that.

....Roy