www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR-311 update
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:25:39 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> I just got off the phone with Sun, and they will be making the
>> changes Roy requested.  The JSR itself can't be changed during the
>> voting period, but they will be advising the EC of the change in a
>> note soon-ish.  We'll reference that in our vote, which will be yes.
>>
>> In terms of organizing who wants to participate, I want to come up
>> with a list of volunteers.  So far, I have :
>>
>> Justin
>> Craig - wants to participate, not lead
>> Dims
>> Steve (?)
>>
>> Did I miss anyone?
>
> Any updates on this?  Any magic voodoo I have to perform?  -- justin

sun have just released a 'Sun Web Developer Pack":
http://developers.sun.com/web/swdp/

one of its features is a: RESTful Web Services API (Early Access)

  http://developers.sun.com/web/swdp/docs/OnePagerREST_APIs.html

The development of RESTful Web services using the current APIs (Servlet
or JAX-WS) requires a great deal of boiler-plate code that could
usefully be provided by a container. In addition developers are required
to understand a great deal of information related to HTTP in order to
built services that work correctly with the Web architecture. Sun Web
Developer Pack ships with an Early Access set of APIs and a runtime for
components build using those APIs to address this problem. The runtime
undertake much of the HTTP-centric functionality and only delegate to
components as necessary. This greatly simplify the development of
RESTful Web services on the Java platform by allowing the developer to
concentrate on the functionality of their service rather than having to
deal with HTTP minutiae.

The APIs enshrine concepts from REST and promote a RESTful approach to
building services:

     * Developers will write POJOs that represent a Web resource.
     * Ease of development features are provided by use of Java
annotations that allow declarative specification of resource metadata.
     * Input to, and output from, resource methods is in the form of
representations which encapsulate arbitrary Java data types
     * The URI at which a resource is published/deployed is set
declaratively using a Java annotation
     * Additional helper classes are provided as deemed necessary during
development of sample services

The APIs is independent of deployment technology and will allow services
to be hosted as Servlets, JAX-WS endpoints and in the lightweight Java
SE HTTP server. Code will be provided to adapt these containers to
hosting of RESTful services developed using the new APIs.

I am very confused. Surely the purpose of JSR-311 was to come up with
these APIs? But Sun have just released an early access version of the
same APIs? How can that be, unless someone has worked out a way to send
emails backwards in time?

-steve