www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:36:16 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I've asked that we be a part of this EG (since we were a supporter).
>
> Any volunteers?

64-bit time_t in TAI; use a point on the surface of the earth to define
clock velocity. It's all anyone needs. Don't let people who use xsd time
types or the International Earth Rotation Service (http://www.iers.org/)
to tell you any different :)

I may sound facetious here, but time is political. the whole reason that
the windows time zone selection dialog doesnt have a map you can click
is because pakistan and india are on different TZs, and the gui put the
disputed territory of Kashmir in to india's TZ.

Even with Time_t you need to deal with leap seconds
  WGS-84 and TAI: none
  UTC: some
  GMT: I think they have longer seconds or something

As for ISO8601, have you noticed there's no way in the spec to declare a
date time without a tz. What if you dont know or care about it?

no, time is a complex beast. You are trying to formalize people's world
view into a number system.