www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR 311
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:13:26 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Geir,
>
> Could you please sign me up for the spanking brand new JSR 311 (Java
> (TM) API for RESTful Web Services)
>
> thanks,
> dims

Dims,

I think you ought to catch up with the rest-discuss chat on this whole
area before jumping head first into the spec; we are trying to find out
from mark "WS-Addressing" hadley whether this will be something for
good, or another crime against the HTTP protocol.

As it stands, mark baker, bill dehOra and Stefan Tilkov are all signing
on; as is probably Dan Diephouse. It certainly makes sense from the Axis
team to get on board, but from the RESTy people's perspective, anything
that tries to seamlessly merge REST with Web Services, to bring the
unification that IBM talk of in ther Web of Services for the Enterprises
talk is just going to poison the whole notion of REST in Java, the way
JAX-WS did for WS.

I would think the overall goal for Apache is to ensure that Java remains
a first class citizen in the Web, so Roy should be the lead member, with
the rest of us (I may get in too:) joining on. I may come in as a work
affiliated person; I will have to discuss it with other people,
including the RDF folk and our local TAG representative.

-steve