www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR 311 - Java API for RESTful Web Services
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:43:29 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> As Geir is aware, I asked the Spec Leads last December to not call
> this the REST API because it will lead to consumer confusion in
> regards to what REST means -- it is my name for the style and it
> could apply to any number of applications that use other APIs.
> Actually, I demanded it, the same way that Sun demanded we not use
> the name Java.

also, it will box sun into a corner if/when they realise they've chosen
the wrong approach, but just as JAX-WS is 'the' java API for WS-*, there
is a risk that this sets a defacto standard, one that may or may not be
any good.

> I don't think that calling it the RESTful API is any better, and
> particularly not under the class javax.ws.rest.  I don't see why
> they can't call it JAX-RS and be done.
>
> For that reason, I am asking for an early NO vote from Apache

I'm still uncommitted (see my email to mark in the rest-discuss list).
I'd be happier with focus on a good client API, one that is built into
the java se runtime, instead of java.net.HttpUrlconnection, which is
clearly maintained by someone who doesnt understand the http spec.

-steve