www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: JSR 291 - public review
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 02:57:22 GMT
On 1/22/07, Bruce Snyder <bruce.snyder@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm in favor of it either, even though I'm on the EG. My
> intention was never to just rubber stamp the OSGi spec,

Then your job is to speak up... ;o)

> as I think
> that the OSGi has no place in the JSE.

What? I can only interpret this mean 2 things. Either;

 1. You think OSGi should not be deployed on Java SE.

 2. You think OSGi should not be shipped with the JDK.

I assume you mean the second one, as the first one is hilariously silly...

Well, IMHO, the JDK is over bloated since long, and the main focus
around release 1,2/1.3 should have been something like what we now see
in the JSR-277, allowing for simple extensions of the runtime
platform.

Now, that said; Please take a look at the 300 or so JSRs so far, and
see how many is or will be shipping in either the JDK or is part of
the non-optional Java EE specification set.

Cheers
Niclas