www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Glyn Normington <glyn_norming...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: JSR 291 - public review
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:47:43 GMT
Just catching up....

"Geir Magnusson Jr." <geir@pobox.com> wrote on 21/01/2007 21:00:05:

> I'm looking at the materials for the public draft of JSR-291 as I
> need to vote on it tomorrow.
>
> I'm actually considering voting "no", even though we're on the expert
> group, simply because there is no spec there.  It's just a document
> that says "See OSGi R4".  Really - 1 page.  Go download it :
>
> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=291

I think Geir only saw the covering letter! The PR spec. package zip file
contains *three* documents:

1. covering letter,
2. license for the spec. package,
3. 286 page draft specification.

"Roy T. Fielding" <roy.fielding@gmail.com> wrote on 22/01/2007 08:27:31:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > Well, I hope you are aware of that a JSR is not required to provide
> > the RI and TCK "for free". The RI and TCK is available for licensing.
>
> Apache should vote "No" unless *all* of the following are true:
>
>    1) The specification is completely provided by the JSR publications
>       (i.e., we don't need to jump through some other license hoops
>       in order to read it);

The JSR 291 PR spec. package contains the draft specification and the
necessary spec. license information.

>    2) The Specification, RI, and TCK licenses are provided to the EC
>       prior to the vote;

For Public Review, JCP 2.6 requires only the specification to be provided
to the EC prior to the Public Draft Specification Approval Ballot.

Draft terms for the RI and TCK were included in the JSR submission. Final
RI and TCK terms do not need to be provided until the Final Approval
Ballot.

>    3) The Specification and TCK licenses allow an open source
>       implementation;

Of course this is allowed and I expect at least the current three OSGi open
source projects (Eclipse Equinox, Apache Felix, Knopflerfish) to implement
the specification.

>    4) The above licenses are provided at no cost to nonprofit
>       organizations like the ASF; and

This is the case by virtue of JSR 291 being covered by JCP 2.6. The JCP's
spec. lead guide says:

"JSRs under JCP 2.6 or later must also license the RI and TCK separately
and provide no cost access of TCKs to qualified individuals, educational
and not for profit organizations."

>    5) The technology defines something useful for Java.

I don't think anyone seriously doubts this, do they.

Glyn