www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <roy.field...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSR 291 - public review
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 08:27:31 GMT
On Jan 22, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Well, I hope you are aware of that a JSR is not required to provide
> the RI and TCK "for free". The RI and TCK is available for licensing.

Apache should vote "No" unless *all* of the following are true:

   1) The specification is completely provided by the JSR publications
      (i.e., we don't need to jump through some other license hoops
      in order to read it);

   2) The Specification, RI, and TCK licenses are provided to the EC
      prior to the vote;

   3) The Specification and TCK licenses allow an open source
      implementation;

   4) The above licenses are provided at no cost to nonprofit
      organizations like the ASF; and

   5) The technology defines something useful for Java.

> Nothing different from other JSRs.

Every JSR Spec Lead has the choice of a wide range of options to make
it easier (or harder) for independent implementations, and that choice
has widened over time.  They are all different.

I don't think it matters if OSGi gets a rubber stamp.  What matters is
that the result is specified accurately, readably, and in a form that
we can implement.

....Roy