www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: JSR 291 - public review
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:35:18 GMT

On Jan 21, 2007, at 5:07 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> I'm looking at the materials for the public draft of JSR-291 as I
>> need to vote on it tomorrow.
>>
>> I'm actually considering voting "no", even though we're on the
>> expert group, simply because there is no spec there.  It's just a
>> document that says "See OSGi R4".  Really - 1 page.  Go download it :
>>
>> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=291
>>
>> Opinions?  i've cc-ed niclas because he's listed as being on the
>> EG, and Richard as I believe he actually represents us.
>
> Actually, I represent myself, because I am not an Apache member.

We don't require membership to represent the ASF in an EG, just
someone with a clue.

> The goal of JSR 291 was to try to unite the JCP and OSGi
> communities and to bring a dynamic component environment (via OSGi)
> to existing Java platforms. The approach for doing this was to take
> the OSGi R4 spec as a starting point and to let the expert group
> give input into any other missing pieces. It has done this.

And where is evidence of that?  As far as I can tell, the spec is a
glorified URL for OSGi R4.1.

> The early draft release zip file contains a draft copy of the OSGi
> R4.1 spec, which includes changes to meet requirements raised by
> the expert group. Not all requirements were met, due to time
> constraints, but I believe that all requirements were acknowledged
> and discussed and considered for OSGi R5.
>
> So, in short, I believe the JSR has accomplished what it set out to
> do.

The JSR says that the "specification will define a dynamic component
framework including component lifecycle for existing Java SE
platforms" and further the JSR states that

"This specification will be a subset of JSR 232 including the
modularity and lifecycle aspects of the OSGi R4 framework but
excluding the service aspects of the framework, declarative service
support, and the services defined by JSR 232.
The specification lead will track revisions in the JSR 232 and OSGi
specifications as they apply to this JSR, and will publish updates to
this JSR as those specifications are updated."

In your opinion, has the JSR done that?

Another question - given that there's no content to the spec offered
by the EG, what's the point?  OSGi exists, and is a solid spec.
What's the point of a JSR that says "look over there" without saying
anything itself?

geir