www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: JSR 291 - public review
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:07:26 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I'm looking at the materials for the public draft of JSR-291 as I need
> to vote on it tomorrow.
>
> I'm actually considering voting "no", even though we're on the expert
> group, simply because there is no spec there.  It's just a document
> that says "See OSGi R4".  Really - 1 page.  Go download it :
>
> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=291
>
> Opinions?  i've cc-ed niclas because he's listed as being on the EG,
> and Richard as I believe he actually represents us.

Actually, I represent myself, because I am not an Apache member.

The goal of JSR 291 was to try to unite the JCP and OSGi communities and
to bring a dynamic component environment (via OSGi) to existing Java
platforms. The approach for doing this was to take the OSGi R4 spec as a
starting point and to let the expert group give input into any other
missing pieces. It has done this.

The early draft release zip file contains a draft copy of the OSGi R4.1
spec, which includes changes to meet requirements raised by the expert
group. Not all requirements were met, due to time constraints, but I
believe that all requirements were acknowledged and discussed and
considered for OSGi R5.

So, in short, I believe the JSR has accomplished what it set out to do.

-> richard