www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR 291 : OSGi
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:59:04 GMT

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>
>> There seems to be a general philosophical discussion happening between
>> yourself and Dain each time over how the ASF should approach JCP issues -
>> which to a large extent seem to boil down to a 'Deny All - then Allow' or a
>> 'Allow All - then Deny' pair of firewall like philosophies.
>
> Man, I hope I haven't come off as "Deny All - then Allow".  It is just that
> only the conterversial proposals are getting brought up.

It doesn't concern me. This list needs people of both philosophies to
drive discussion. The Deny/Allow metaphor is a little harsh as there are 3
lines here and I think your preference sounds like wanting to abstain on
the votes that don't fit our criteria, rather than fight to -1 each one of
them.

> I feel that Apache should only support specifications that are developed
> using an open community process and specs that can be freely implemented
> under an Apache license.  IMO the Oracle spec limits the ability to implement
> it under an Apache license, and I feel that the OSGi spec is rubber stamping
> a spec created outside of the community process.
>
> My guess is that all of these specs will pass the EC anyway, and we will
> participate in them.  When is comes to Apache's vote, I don't see why we
> would vote for a specification that doesn't follow those points.

Tempted to agree. Why +1 a JSR if it doesn't benefit our
community/open-source community. So with the IDE one, the ASF don't appear
to care and then it would come down to whether we think it's good for our
co-communities at NetBeans, Eclipse and elsewhere - if we think they're
not being damaged by it, we should abstain.

With this one, we actually have an OSGi implementation so it seems like a
walk-in if Felix want to join up. Otherwise, we'd abstain.

Hen