www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: JSR 291 : OSGi]
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:52:46 GMT
Bruce Snyder wrote:
> FWIW, I was just accepted as a member of JSR 291 on the auspices of
> making Geronimo more modular by understanding the OSGI architecture
> better. The intentions of my involvement are also to be a voice of
> open source in the midst of a flock of vendors.

Well, I don't consider myself to be a vendor, that is for sure. :-)

> FWIW, Richard, I have my doubts about the JCP being open as well, yet
> I've been able to join the JCP as an individual and participate in
> JSRs. While this might not mean much, in the words of Ghandi, we must
> be the change we want to see in the world. All it takes is for more of
> us to step forward and represent the open source community to cause a
> change to take place. So far it seems like at least a few of us are
> interested in participating in this JSR, so please join me in
> representing the ASF.

I am an individual member in the JCP too. I am not from a company, I am
an academic researcher who has been involved in open source for a long
time. Some people want to see this as a negative thing because I don't
have "real" experience, others see it as a good thing because I am
independent.

I am happy to contribute to the JCP in any way that I can. I agree that
we have to do what we can.

-> richard