www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: JSR 291 : OSGi
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:13:01 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote, On 3/1/2006 1:08 PM:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
>> Today a new JSR was officially announced  :
>>
>> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=291
>>
>> As you can see, this is for OSGi.
>>
>> I've told IBM that we support the JSR, and will participate in the
>> Expert Group.
>>
>> Please volunteer if you are interested in representing the ASF on
>> this EG.
>>
>> I've CC-ed felix-dev.  Please don't crosspost, but discuss on
>> jcp-open@apache.org
>

> Have you heard anything back from Felix?
>
> There seems to be a general philosophical discussion happening between
> yourself and Dain each time over how the ASF should approach JCP
> issues - which to a large extent seem to boil down to a 'Deny All -
> then Allow' or a 'Allow All - then Deny' pair of firewall like
> philosophies.
>
> Other than that though, not seeing much discussion.

FWIW, I've been keeping quiet because Dain's arguments reflect my
sentiments.  I am more than a bit incredulous about the ability of two
separate standards bodies to somehow cooperate on this already completed
Java spec; Geir's analogy w/ Groovy does not hold.  I still do not
understand what is the value add to coming to the JCP.  I admire Geir's
optimism but the idea seems so wacky, that I remain extremely
skeptical.  I hope to be proven wrong.

Regards,
Alan