www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: JSR 291 : OSGi
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 23:53:02 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> Man, I hope I haven't come off as "Deny All - then Allow".  It is
> just that only the conterversial proposals are getting brought up.
>
> I feel that Apache should only support specifications that are
> developed using an open community process and specs that can be
> freely implemented under an Apache license.  IMO the Oracle spec
> limits the ability to implement it under an Apache license, and I
> feel that the OSGi spec is rubber stamping a spec created outside of
> the community process.
>
> My guess is that all of these specs will pass the EC anyway, and we
> will participate in them.  When is comes to Apache's vote, I don't
> see why we would vote for a specification that doesn't follow those
> points.

Is the JCP really as open as you imply? In reality, if you are not a
member of the JSR EG (and/or an employee of member company/organization)
then you are basically out of luck when it comes to being able to take
part in the "open community process". As far as spec implementability,
that is a non-issue for OSGi since I have been doing it for five years.

-> richard