www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: JSR 291 : OSGi
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:52:31 GMT

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> I find this JSR very confusing.  Why is the package name
> org.osgi.framework?

Reasonable question...  I'll ask.  We'll probably hear that it's either
an oversight, or more - more likely - there to "preserve compatibilty"
with existing users of OSGi.

> Is this just a rubber stamp for a spec not
> developed within the JCP?

I don't know.  It very well could be.  I can imagine ways that this
could go that would be useful - such as devise a way to do
componentization w/ a runtime lifecycle for which OSGi is one
implementation - and ways which it would be "less useful" - like
rubberstamping an external spec.

Now that I just re-read the JSR, looking at the proposed timeline, I
think I'll take "rubberstamp for $400", since I can't imagine how much
new technical work will get done in the 4 month timeline they are
proposing for the whole JSR.

I'll ask about that too....

geir