www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: JSR-198 up for final vote
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:23:50 GMT

Steve Loughran wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>

>> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>> I think we should take a firm stand and vote against against any JSR
>>> that includes the downstream licensing restrictions, since it
>>> violates the Apache compromise
>>
>> Oracle is emphasizing the "Apache compromise", actually.  We (Apache)
>> can do open source implementations, and have no requirement to enforce
>> or pass down any additional license restrictions.
>>
>> (as Roy notes in a later email these restrictions
>>> do not allow us to license under an OSI compliant license).
>>
>> I don't believe so - he was commenting on the RI not being under an
>> OSI compliant license, and I didn't think that Oracle had any
>> intention of releasing the RI as free or open source software.
>>
>>    I'm afraid
>>> that these notices are the proverbial camel's nose under the tent.
>>
>> As I read it, they are emphasizing the existence of the terms in the
>> JSPA that have been there for 5 years.
>>
>> geir
>
> I have no objection to the RI being built by a legacy closed source
> process, it is probably of too low a quality to want to use by virtue of
> that selfsame process :)

I dunno.  I really think that the RIs should be open source, but
companies sometimes use product as the RI - the point is really to
demonstrate that the spec is implementable and testable, rather then
being an open resource for reference, which is a shame, IMO.

> And I suppose they are granting rights to compliant implementations; it
> is only non-compliant rights that have to worry about possibly
> infringing some software patent that oracle holds. The trouble is: how
> do you define compliance?

Passing the TCK.

This got me thinking - I do wonder what Oracle has here - I guess a
patent.  I wonder how much that aspect matters since no one is going to
implement this anyway except Sun and Oracle.

gier