www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: JSR-198 up for final vote
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 04:13:43 GMT

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> I think we should take a firm stand and vote against against any JSR
> that includes the downstream licensing restrictions, since it violates
> the Apache compromise

Oracle is emphasizing the "Apache compromise", actually.  We (Apache)
can do open source implementations, and have no requirement to enforce
or pass down any additional license restrictions.

(as Roy notes in a later email these restrictions
> do not allow us to license under an OSI compliant license).

I don't believe so - he was commenting on the RI not being under an OSI
compliant license, and I didn't think that Oracle had any intention of
releasing the RI as free or open source software.

    I'm afraid
> that these notices are the proverbial camel's nose under the tent.

As I read it, they are emphasizing the existence of the terms in the
JSPA that have been there for 5 years.

geir