www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: NDA requirements
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:16:19 GMT

Steve Loughran wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> What's conflicting?   We're trying to avoid messes like these....
>
> well, its just the problem of having do another NDA. Theres no conflict
> of interest yet, but if I get to find out something on the mail list
> that I shouldnt disclose to HP, then I have a problem, and I dont want
> to go there. Its a bit like how I make a point of never looking at the
> source to unix, winnt, vms or java, even though they are on filestores
> somewhere, because it makes it harder to write OSS code.

Right. The issue here seems to be the confidentiality requirement of the
material, rather than the NDA itself.  If it was a verbal agreement,
you'd be bound by same conditions, and have the same problems.  This is
why the JCP thing is so awful, and why we push to open it where and when
we can.  The whole discussion of whether or not a member signs an NDA,
or agrees to same conditions, doesn't change anything.

Brett et al : do you think it's possible to run this as a completely
open list, that the onus is on you to filter and scrub information that
you move across the boundary?  IOW, you don't ever forward mail, you
don't move code across the boundary...  I don't know what kinds of
things are being discussed in the EG, but can concepts be discussed "in
general" on the 277 open list?

geir