www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: JSR-198 up for final vote
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:39:16 GMT
On Feb 22, 2006, at 1:23 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>> And I suppose they are granting rights to compliant
>> implementations; it is only non-compliant rights that have to
>> worry about possibly infringing some software patent that oracle
>> holds. The trouble is: how do you define compliance?
>
> Passing the TCK.
>
> This got me thinking - I do wonder what Oracle has here - I guess a
> patent.  I wonder how much that aspect matters since no one is
> going to implement this anyway except Sun and Oracle.

The patent clause is what worries me.  With the patent restriction is
it possible to license an clean-room implementation under an OSI
license?  I feel we should not support a JSR that doesn't a grant
field of use license to any derivative works of a complaint
implementation regardless of the derivative work being compliant or not.

I know this is all water under the bridge since it the vote was
already cast, but I think we should make a policy moving forward that
we will vote against any JSR, regardless of merit, if it carries such
a clause.

-dain