www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Apache project as a JSR reference implementation
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:38:55 GMT

Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,

>> Well, if you guys can control the EG, I'd propose that you work entirely
>> in public, just like an Apache (or other community-oriented open source
>> project does).
>
> That would be very nice. IANAL so I'm not exactly sure of what are the
> legal constraints for doing that. The JSPA (2.0) section 11
> (Publicity) puts pretty heavy constraints on discussing any JSR work
> publicly, but the JCP 2: Process Document (2.6) section 2.1.1 (Freedom
> of working style) allows and even encourages transparency. Are there
> other openness constraints for JSR work? If not, then I suppose the
> expert group could very well decide to be as open as needed.

That's right.  The JSPA has a constrictive structure when working
privately, all allegedly to ensure that no one gets an early advantage
in the market (except for the EG members, I suppose) and to enable
contributors not used to public discussion to be able to float ideas and
IP in private.  Or something.

However, if you all work on a public list that is considered to be under
the terms of the Apache License and the appropriate contributors
agreements (like all Apache projects do implicitly, and some - like
Harmony - do explicitly (see the top of
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/mailing.html), then the IP rules
don't apply.  Now, there may be EG members who are reluctant to work
this way, so there is where lobbying and constructive engagement from us
will help.

>> You would be breaking fresh ground at the ASF if you could convince the
>> EG to work this way.  I will happily help you in any way that you could
>> use me.
>
> Cool, thanks! I'll check back with the EG and we'll see what comes out
> of this. :-)

Right.  Day Software is the spec lead.  David Nuescheler clearly "gets
it" and further, our own Roy Fielding (yes, Roy, we appear to own you :)
is their Chief Scientist, so you have quite a bit of help on your side
here.  let us know.

geir