www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Apache project as a JSR reference implementation
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:54:28 GMT

Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a committer of the incubating Apache Jackrabbit project that was
> used as the reference implementation of the JSR 170 (Content
> Repository for the Java Technology API). A second version of the API
> is currently being specified by JSR 283 and there is interest to keep
> using Jackrabbit as the reference implementation also for JSR 283.

Sounds good.

> Currently most of the active Jackrabbit committers (me included) are
> members of the JSR 283 expert group, so I there shouldn't be many
> problems doing this in practice, but I'm a bit concerned about how
> this will affect the project as the community evolves. How should we
> communicate design decisions based on API details not yet published by
> the expert group?

Well, if you guys can control the EG, I'd propose that you work entirely
in public, just like an Apache (or other community-oriented open source
project does).

For example, you might offer to have the Jackrabbit project 'host' the
EG's work, add a separate, public mailing list for the expert group
traffic, and a part of your SVN for their work.   I suggest a separate
list only to keep clear what is normal jackrabbit developer traffic, and
what is the EG traffic.

You might wish to talk with Craig Russel (craig.russel@sun.com) about
how his work with JDO 2 is going.  They are building the TCK for JDO2
there, for example.  They are being very public as well.  I don't think
quite as public as what I'm suggesting above, but it's always worth
trying to ratchet things up a notch.

> I suppose this problem of interfacing the open source model with the
> JCP model has come up in other JCP-related Apache projects as well, so
> I hope to learn from existing ways to handle such a situation. I'm
> sorry if this is a FAQ, I couldn't find anything related with a quick
> search.

With the exception of JDO, other JCP-related Apache projects are only
implementing finished specifications.  Even Tomcat, which is used as an
implementation area for servlets (although not the RI).

You would be breaking fresh ground at the ASF if you could convince the
EG to work this way.  I will happily help you in any way that you could
use me.

Also, look at the Groovy project - that's also a JSR based on OSS, and
their activities might also be something to learn from.

> PS. Once Jackrabbit is promoted from the Incubator, I hope to have it
> included in the implementation list on http://www.apache.org/jcp/.

Please forgive me for not including it now.  It should be there (and
after I dig out my driveway, I'll put it there...)  I just forgot.

geir