www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: creating jsr277-discuss@apache.org
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:34:12 GMT

Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have discussed this with Stanley and he has obtained confirmation. We
> can go ahead with internal discussion as required.
>
> The restrictions are entirely up to us as long as we continue to respect
> the conditions of the JSPA. This means that discussions must remain
> confidential, but that no NDAs are required.

There's the rub.  What does it mean "discussions muct remain confidential"?

I'm assuming that Stanley assumed you were asking if NDA's between Sun
and our individuals was required (the answer is 'no', of course, as
they're participating as ASF, not individuals), but by stating that we
keep to the conditions of the JSPA and the conditions remain
confidential, the onus is back on us, and thus I'd argue we didn't get
very far as we are extending obligations of the JSPA to those
participating in our name.

> The EG list content can be shared with the group. Once the group is
> assembled, we can discuss whether we will try to get all messages
> forwarded on, or whether they'd just prefer to get summaries.
>
> However, all that said, since there is no legal firewall of the NDA, I
> think we should ask the board to verify we can do this. They are meeting
> next week.

This isn't an issue for the board.

> Regardless, we can go ahead with creating this list.

I think you are leaping to a conclusion here.  I'll find out if there is
a way we can setup the list w/o NDAs through some other mechanism with
which we (the ASF) can reasonably demonstrate that we upheld the terms
of the JSPA w/o some confidentiality agreement/awareness with the
participants that we are choosing to include.

Geir - are you able
> to do this?
>
> Here is how I believe the list should be set up:
>
> Moderators: myself, anyone else volunteering?
> Subscription: moderated. Need to verify that subscribers are committers.
> Posting: moderated.
> Archive: private, available to committers on minotaur
>
> Please let me know if I can do anything to help, or if you'd like me to
> copy infra@ again/use JIRA.

In order to not hold this up any further while we figure it out, I'll
set things up so that the only thing moderated is subscription, which
I'll do and ensure that each sub has the NDA on file (for now).  Given
the small group subscribing, do you see any need to moderate the
postings themselves?

geir