www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:32:02 GMT

On Dec 30, 2005, at 11:25 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> I am going to ask this stupid question here, since at least it is
> relevant to this list.  Why aren't the "spec jars" part of the spec?
> In other words, why doesn't the JSR EG just produce a full API spec,
> with interfaces encapsulated and expressed in the spec?  Then everyone
> - inside and outside of apache - could just download the "spec jar"
> with the spec.  I must be missing something basic here.

They do.  They are usually under an unacceptable license from Sun.
Until recently, it had restrictions of fields of use, didn't allow
redistribution, and required indemnification of Sun.

And that's all I can recall off the top of my head.  I worked on that
one for *years* with them.  Some progress, but not enough, IMO.

geir

geirm@apache.org