www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: request to create private list jsr277-discuss@apache.org
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:16:12 GMT

On Dec 19, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to create the following list for internal discussion of a
>> JSR:
>> jsr277-discuss@apache.org
>> It must have moderated subscription and posting (I will volunteer for
>> initial moderation, and will get another member to help out after
>> we're
>> set up).
>> The archive is tricky - unfortunately only those that have signed the
>> appropriate document [1] will be able to participate in the list,
>> even
>> if they are ASF members. Ideally, I think we should have a unix group
>> "jcp-nda" for everyone that has this on file that governs access
>> to the
>> archives for any such list, TCK material, etc. The initial membership
>> would be those listed in svn:/foundation/JCP/tck-nda-list.txt
>
> Shouldn't it also be open to people who have NDA access by virtue
> of their employer being a JCP member.

No, I wouldn't want to see that, because things become too
confusing.  If you are representing/participating at the ASF, then
there shouldn't be any procedural/process "side-doors" like that.
Also, I think this creates a mess in the even such a person would
contribute IP from their employer into a spec via the ASF w/o the
employer's knowledge.  I just don't want the ASF to be seen,
correctly or incorrectly, as a channel for such things.

The JCP rules scare the bejeezus out of big IP owners and they act
very carefully in the JCP's activities.  Lets not give them a reason
to not want to allow their employees to participate here.

geir

geirm@apache.org