www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: JSR 199 vs commons jci
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 07:57:23 GMT

On 19.12.2005, at 21:47, Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi Torsten!
>
> Have you reviewed the early draft to see where there might be any
> overlap?

Yes, sure

> It seems to me the JCI can cover this already, and has a lot of
> additional functionality, and as long as it desires to work on pre-
> JDK5
> will need to implement this itself anyway.

Yes, that's right - jci covers more ...still there is an overlap :)

> I've spoken to you about
> pluggable compilers in the past - I would think jsr199 could be a
> single
> compiler, alongside the others already there.

Yepp, same thought here

> What did Geir have to say at ApacheCon?

Geir - do you want to speak for yourself?
Basically something like a +1 ;)

> As far as I understand it, its usually hard to add extra numbers to an
> EG after they have started

Well, they started a loooooong time ago ...the spec lead changed
at least once and I have no clue how active this EG is ...but I
have heart the same - later joining seems not to be too easy.

...but maybe worth a try

> , but if you think that you have something to
> add, then I'd like to see how we can help get you on there on
> behalf of
> the ASF. I'd be interested to hear what is happening from it too, and
> I'm sure it would be relevant to Harmony at some point.

Cool!

cheers
--
Torsten