www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About joining JSR 279 and 280
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:26:32 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2005, at 5:42 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> Steve Loughran wrote:

>>> so we hear. couldnt take working for the company that gave us  XML1.1
>>> eh?

>>> I have to deal with some of the packaging bits from other  standards,
>>> I'm interested in this too.
>>

>> Steve - cool, good to hear! If you have any thoughts you'd like me  to
>> forward on or keep in mind based on the initial description on  the
>> site I'd be happy to do so. If I understand what you mean by
>> packaging, then it hasn't exactly been dealt with yet, so no rush.
>>
>> As a member, I believe there should be no problem with discussing  it
>> with you, though you may need to sign an NDA and I'll ask that  Geir
>> clarify that first. I'm sure it's fine, but I want to make  sure we do
>> follow all appropriate confidentiality rules within the  EGs.
>

> Yes - Steve must sign the NDA for any EG-private material.  It can be
> found easily here :
>
> http://people.apache.org/~geirm/ApacheNDA.pdf  or in the legal part  of
> the SVN repository.
>
> Steve, once you have done that, fax to +1 203 665 6400 and I'll log  and
> forward to Jim for safekeeping in the ASF Hall of Records.

As an HP employee, I probably already qualify for NDA access to the
data, I'd have to go that route, because I dont want to get contaminated
by any agreement that my lawyers didnt approve of.

I'll have to check.

On the subject of standards, its my opinion that standards groups need
to adopt a lot more OSS thinking. That means

-specs come with tests. Or the tests are the spec, to put it differently
-team SCM repos of test+source are public
-gump does a  nightly build of everything

see: see:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/deployment/deployment/doc/steve/test_driven_standards.doc

I'm partway there with the spec I work on, but there is so much
ignorance (we dont need tests) and unwillingness to put stuff into a
shared SCM that we dont get the full benefits