From Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org>
Subject Handling a large number of git repositories for a project
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2016 12:54:52 GMT
Hi,

In the Apache Sling project we're considering moving from SVN to Git
[1].

We believe that having a large number of modules in the same git
repository would be counterproductive and missing the point of git, so
we would like to create 1 git repository per module.

This has two main implications:

1. When migrating we would need to create ~300 modules in git
2. Periodically we would create new repositories, since new module
contributions would also end up in new repositories

Although other projects seem to have more than one repository, I could
not find one with more than 100. So before we start down a road which
can prove troublesome, I'd like to ask

1. Is creating a large number of modules in git for a single project
problematic by itself?

2. What ways do we have of making sure that infra is not burdened by
our rate of repo creation? We would of course welcome options that
would allow us to manage the repos ourselves, but anything that makes
sure infra is not impacted by our activity is welcome.

Thanks,

Robert

[1]: http://markmail.org/message/kvhmn7kghvh7lual