From Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisse...@geomatys.com>
Subject Re: Download area for resources under non-ASL license?
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2016 19:51:48 GMT
Le 26/04/16 17:46, Alex Harui a écrit :
> Right now, the project I work on is discussing doing something similar by
> keeping a set of patches and applying them as part of the build.
>
> But if you snoop around other project mailing lists, I believe you will
> see mention of a "deps" folder where non-ASF stuff often ends up.  The
> project I work on doesn't use that, but I believe that the contents of
> "deps" are typically not modified.  IMO, the only issue with modification
> would be making it clear to the general public the terms of such
> modifications.

Is this "deps" folder specific to each project, or does is there some
foundation-wide folder for this kind of resources?

Just for setting the context: the case of the resources for which I'm
looking for a home is particular, in that its Terms Of Use contain a
clause which enumerates precisely which kinds of changes are allowed.
Those resources are not software, but data (which is why I didn't called
them "dependency"). I don't know if many other Apache projects depend as
strongly on a particular set of data, but I suspect that this use case
may happen more often in the future if the Foundation hosts an
increasing amount of projects on topic like geospatial, medicine, etc.

    Martin