From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Syncope for ASF identity management
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 13:26:24 GMT
Howdy Infra,
following a discussion [1] we had on Syncope PMC list, I would like to
start a thread around possible usage of Apache Syncope for managing
identity flows within the ASF infrastructure.

Let me start with a real-life sample: I have recently been asked to join
CXF as committer (good to me!).

I know from [2] that, since I already own an ASF id, someone from CXF
PMC had to run a perl script on people.apache.org in order to add myself
to the LDAP commiter group for CXF.

If instead this was my first invitation, someone had to prior request
for an account [3] (note the different link for PMC chairs and PMC
members) and trigger a (manual) approval process which ensures at least
the availability of the chosen ASF id and the presence of a valid ICLA
which can be "reconciled" with such request.

Once in, someone with enough karma still needs to grant me proper access
to JIRA and Confluence (and / or more applications).

If I'd like to change my password and manage my own details (including
SSH and GPG) I can log into [4].

Naturally, I have omitted several parts of the process, especially the
ones related to becoming PMC [5] or ASF member, which are even more
involved.

As Syncope PMC, we believe it is worth to explore the possibility of
using Syncope for driving the processes summarized above, and more.
I see this as a win-win situation: Infra will benefit from introducing a
proper tool for the job, and Syncope will get more visibility both
within the foundation and externally (think to some post(s) by Infra
describing this work).

In the past I have exchanged some e-mails with Tony Stevenson about this
topic, and it seemed to me he was interested on the topic, even though
at a certain point we did not follow up.

Should you be interested, we are available to discuss in order to
identify together the required steps, and also to provide material help,
if required.

Looking forward for your reply.
Regards.

[1]
https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/syncope-private/201511.mbox/%3C565C09A3.7070004@apache.org%3E
[2] https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#karma
[3] https://id.apache.org/acreq/
[4] https://id.apache.org/
[5] https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newpmc

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC, CXF committer
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/