From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Git, history, protection, and other topics
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2015 13:12:27 GMT
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
> On 04 Nov 2015, at 6:08 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
>> I don't know whether or not the situation is best addressed via policy
>> or technical means, but the discussion here is designed to discover
>> what that should look like, so that we can move past the admittedly
>> blunt, and likely disruptive measure that we introduced today.
>>
>> So; let the discussions begin.
>
> Without a clearly defined policy, none of the technical discussions are worth a thing.
>
> Policy must come from the board, representing the members of the foundation. This is
the wrong forum for this discussion.

I'll note that David and I are on the board.  For the board to have a
productive discussion, it would be useful to gather the facts in a way
that the individuals on the board can easily digest and understand it.

For those who are ASF members and/or officers, I've been collecting
such notes here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/foundation/board/github-discussion

This is scheduled as discussion item for the next board meeting:

https://whimsy.apache.org/board/agenda/2015-11-18/Discussion-Items

In that discussion item I am proposing an experiment with full
bidirectional synchronization between and ASF hosted git repository
and a git repository.

I would encourage this discussion to continue here so that I can
gather more input to feed into that discussion.

> Regards,
> Graham

- Sam Ruby