From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Git, history, protection, and other topics
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2015 14:43:59 GMT
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Can we tag any orphaned commits with the commit-id that orphaned them,
>> for
>> > maintainer convenience? It will maybe just be for ease of mind but still.
>>
>> Doable.
>>
>> When a push happens, git will trigger a 'post-receive' hook.
>> Information that is passed to that hook:  "<before-hash> <after-hash>
>> <updated-ref>".  A git log command can be used to determine what will
>> be orphaned (of particular interest is the '...' syntax in
>> https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Internals-Git-References).
>>
> I don't see '...' in that link but it figures this is possible.

Bah.  Wrong link.  Here's the correct link:
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitrevisions.html

> It will help maintainers and reduce the need to limit --force karma.
>
>> Related: here is progress towards a GitHub multimail hook:
>>
>> https://github.com/git-multimail/git-multimail/issues/109#issuecomment-153022717
>
> so is your intention to with gitmultimail related to closing --force
> rights?

My intention with git-multimail is to explore the possibility of
allowing full bidirectional synchronization between an ASF hosted git
repository and a GitHub hosted repository.   Anything pushed to one
will be immediately pushed to the other, and artifacts equivalent to
today's push logs and commit messages will be produced.

I would also like to explore opening up all --force rights.  Git
already makes --force pushes on branches that others are using
disruptive enough.  Add a few emails to notify the appropriate people
when this occurs (example: add a bcc of a PMC's private list when
--force is used) and include information in that email on how to undo
the force.

- Sam Ruby