From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: git and deleting branches
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:44:47 GMT
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 7:09 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
> ...There is a GROOVY_1_5_8 tag describing the last
> release made from this branch. After that, there are 3 small commits from
> 2010, to correct version number scheme changes, and there will never be any
> release from this branch. Deleting this branch would not mean loosing
> anything but those 3 commits, since the tag stays....

As you demonstrate, none of those things are issues when people behave
nicely and intelligently, but given that we need to make long-term
guarantees about being able to reconstruct the provenance of our code,
mistakes can happen.

So at the ASF level we need simple technical measures that allow us to
guarantee a complete and immutable history of all code that's
released. With Git's flexibility this means putting some restrictions
on branches that are used to cut releases, and exactly how that
happens is what's being discussed internally at the moment.

-Bertrand