From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject git and deleting branches
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2015 12:08:21 GMT
Hi,

as I have read infrastructure stopped being able to delete branches for
reasons of preferring history. There are a few problems with this in the
case of Groovy.

First of all, even if a branch is deleted, if a tag has been made, the
branch will still be reachable through that tag. Currently Groovy has
these branches:

   origin/GROOVY-6819
   origin/GROOVY_1_5_X
   origin/GROOVY_1_6_X
   origin/GROOVY_1_7_X
   origin/GROOVY_1_8_3_RC
   origin/GROOVY_1_8_6_RC
   origin/GROOVY_1_8_RC_X
   origin/GROOVY_1_8_X
   origin/GROOVY_2_0_0_RC_X
   origin/GROOVY_2_0_X
   origin/GROOVY_2_1_0_RC_X
   origin/GROOVY_2_1_X
   origin/GROOVY_2_2_0_RC
   origin/GROOVY_2_2_0_RC_X
   origin/GROOVY_2_2_X
   origin/GROOVY_2_3_0_RC_X
   origin/GROOVY_2_3_X
   origin/GROOVY_2_4_RC_X
   origin/GROOVY_2_4_X
   origin/GROOVY_3_FEATURE
   origin/GROOVY_3_IMC
   origin/HEAD -> origin/master
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.0
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.0-RC-3bis
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.0-RC2
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.1
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.10
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.3
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.4
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.5
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.7
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.8
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.3.9
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.4.0
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.4.0-BETA-1
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.4.0-BETA-4
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.4.0-GA
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.4.0-beta-2_3
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.4.0-beta-3
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.4.0-rc-2
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2.4.1
   origin/REL-BRANCH-2_3_0_RC_4
   origin/REL_BRANCH_2_3_11
   origin/REL_BRANCH_2_4_2
   origin/REL_BRANCH_2_4_3
   origin/REL_BRANCH_2_4_4
   origin/SAM
   origin/acme
   origin/antlr4
   origin/blackdrag-ConversionHandle-findbugs-patch
   origin/documentation
   origin/experimental-static-compiler
   origin/groovy-antlr3
   origin/groovy_2_4_X
   origin/grumpy
   origin/indy
   origin/master
   origin/modularisation
   origin/revert-540-GROOVY-7186
   origin/rlw-jdk8

In this list we have a few release branches we currently cannot avoid
some old experimental branches, maintenance branches and accidentally
created branches like origin/GROOVY-6819, which caused us noticing this.
For every new released bug fix version there will be a REL-x branch and
a maintenance branch for every minor version, plus eventually existing
RC branches (usually only for major versions). With already 50+ existing
branches we will want to delete discontinued branches in the future (you
don't want to know the amount of labels we already have). Otherwise it
will get impossible to keep an overview of the branches.

Do we really want a case-by-case discussion what can be deleted and what
not by using INFRA tickets? Or what procedure is supposed to be used?

bye blackdrag