From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: FAQ on CMS decommissioning
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 08:32:41 GMT
On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 11:21 PM, Joe Schaefer
<joe_schaefer@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> Well no.  You get to have input into the actual decision, along with other contractors
and members of the infra President's committee.  Infra operates as a hierarchy, your decisions
will bubble up to the VP and then the President who reports to the board.  The board doesn't
have a dog in this debate, so there's no reason for them to second guess the chain of command.
> All anyone outside the operational chain of command can do is to try to influence that
decision making process from the *outside*.  It's up to you guys to choose the best course
of action for the org as you see fit.

If the President were to make a decision that significantly made
projects unhappy, the board would indeed have a dog in this debate.

But as the President (and, for that matter, the Infra team) do
actively solicit input from the affected parties, this is unlikely to
happen.

Net: don't focus so much on concepts such as 'inside' and 'outside'.
The key question here seems to be balancing a desire to reduce
overlapping services and a desire to keep being responsive to PMC
needs.

> Naturally there is a lot of responsibility in having that kind of decision making authority.
 I've said more than my peace on the subject to try to provide my experience with the service
as it is currently used by projects.  Basing your decision solely on my input and that of
your peers is not what I have in mind.
> Projects need to give input on what the implications of the proposal mean for them.
And they need to do it themselves, not by sitting behind my "advocacy".Again all I want from
this is a good solid well founded decision and plan of action;none of the projects I work
on are cms customers so I'd like to step out of this conversation from a focal viewpoint.

- Sam Ruby