From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FAQ on CMS decommissioning
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 23:54:29 GMT
Hi guys,

reading the FAQ, I have a few questiosn and concerns.

First of all, I have to mention that both Directory and MINA projects
are heavily depending on the current CMS su-yste, and we have spent a
huge amout of time migrating everything we had from Confluence to the
ASF CMS 3 years ago. I'm not talking about hours of work, but many, many
days. That being said ...

- Do we have a list of the 50 services Infra is managing ? (that's more
for my personnal edication)
- I very sympathize with the desire to use git insead of svn for the
CMS. This would be a real improvement.
- regarding the CMS proposed replacement :
  o it's mentionned that we will be allowed to run MD tranlsation from
INFRA machines. Is it similar to what we currently do when we commit our
modifications in the ASF CMS ?
- what is Cactus ? How different will it be to what we currenlty have ?
(pros and cons, same for Jekyll)
- regarding the staging/production switch : how will it be managed ?
Will it be possible to check the generated content *before* going into
production ?
- what about javadoc ? Currently, it's a bit messy, as we have to push
the Javadoc to production, excluding it from being deleted b the
declaration of 'protected directories' in extpaths. Will we have the
same mechanism, or a better one ?

Now, to be clear, I'm leaning toward keeping what we have, for one
simple reason : "if it's not broken, don't try to fix it". But I also
understand that there are some constraints that does not fit with the
way INFRA is working now (ie, the team size, the SLA, the costs, etc).
Sometime, we have to move out of our comfort zone. I'm just trying to
understand why 3 years ago we decided that developing our own CMS was
necessary, and now that we have a dying machine, we need to ditch what
we have done, just because nobody is able to support the current system,
or simply move it from a BSD box to a Linux box.  OTOH, we may have made
a wrong choice 3 years ago, and this come with a price which is not
pleasant to pay... Not sure it's interesting to point fingers to X or Y,
it won't make things going better.

My 2 cts...