From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: FAQ on CMS decommissioning
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 18:09:51 GMT
Here is my feedback.

The website openoffice.org is maintained using the Apache CMS. We chose the CMS because the
ASF and Infra represented it as the way to go with ASF support.

The site is a combination of HTML from the initial donation and MD templating. The conversion
path in this FAQ for OpenOffice has no good options.

The project depends heavily on edits using the bookmarklet / GUI which the FAQ calls out as
not being replaced with no alternative offered.

This incredible feature allows anyone in the world to submit patches. And people do. This
has been instrumental in bringing people from many language communities into the project community.

This plan will have great harm to how we grow our community and degrade one of our strongest
areas.

On top of this significant effort was put into porting the site and making the templates work.

Please find a way to keep the CMS usable.

What steps has infrastructure taken steps in case this proposal is rejected?

Regards,
Dave

On Mar 25, 2015, at 7:37 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Sigh this list strips html.  Here is the url again:
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/CMS+Decommissioning+RFC+-+Frequently+Asked+Questions
> On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:35 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com.INVALID>
wrote:

> So the FAQ is out and it's public.  I'd like to open this thread for community feedback.
> Note that this explicitly states the intention to decommission the service as it now
stands, which given that Baldr is 7+ years old, should the host fail the service will not
be restored in a timely fashion if ever. Timetables, though not expressed yet, need to factor
that in.
> CMS Decommissioning RFC - Frequently Asked Questions - Infrastructure - Apache Software
Foundation

> |   |
> | CMS Decommissioning RFC - Frequently Asked Questions...Tools Attachments (0) Page History
Restrictions  |