From Roger Meier <ro...@bufferoverflow.ch>
Subject Re: ASF git/GitHub guidelines
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 16:36:05 GMT

Quoting Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Benson Margulies
> <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...Github is no different than any other puddle in which code
>> can accumulate....
>
> We do have constraints w.r.t. using Git in our projects, for example
> that releases must be cut from an ASF-hosted Git repository. Using
> Github as an additional tool is fine but the crown jewels must be
> hosted at Apache.
>
> -Bertrand

One thing worth to consider is the recommendation of a CONTRIBUTING or
CONTRIBUTING.md file
see https://github.com/blog/1184-contributing-guidelines

There we can mention the guidelines, such as icla and things like
https://thrift.apache.org/docs/HowToContribute

personally I like the idea of having a CONTRIBUTING or CONTRIBUTING.md
within root folder, because contribution is the root of many things;-)
-roger